December 1, 2021, Hawthorne, N.J.:
Deep Foundations Institute (DFI) announces the availability of a new edition of the DFI Journal, a peer-reviewed publication of high-quality technical papers.
Volume 15, Issue 2 includes the following papers:
- Research Paper: “Lateral Spreading and Stability of Embankments Supported on Fractured Unreinforced High-Modulus Columns” by Aaron P. Gallant and Danilo Botero-Lopez. The paper clarifies the influence of column fracturing on lateral spreading and stability of column-supported embankments through case history and numerical studies.
- Research Paper: “Optimum Open Cell Sheet Pile (OCSP) Quay Wall System in Port Said, Egypt,” by Ehab R. Tolba, Sherif Abd-Ellah, Elsayed M. Galal, Ezzat Ahmed Sallam and Mohammad Ahmad Kamal.
The study focuses on wall deformations and sets forth the optimal OCSP for East Port Said.
- Research Paper: “A Small-Scale Experimental Investigation on the Benefits of a Hybrid Pile/Footing System on Sand,” by Mohammed Al Maadheedi, Nick Hytiris and Slobodan B. Mickovski. The paper presents a study of the increase in axial pile capacity when a steel plate is attached to the pile and pile is transformed into a hybrid pile and footing.
- Book Review: “Model Uncertainties in Foundation Design,” Naresh Samtani reviews Chong Tang’s and Kok-Kwang Phoon’s book, which offers a foundation engineer information on the model factor and its statistics for conventional foundation types.
- Commentary to: “Prediction, Testing, and Analysis of a 50 M Long Pile in Soft Marine Clay.” In Steven Saye and Armin Stuedlein’s commentary, they compare Fellenius’s case history with their own SHANSEP side resistance approach.
- Research Paper: “Evaluation of Negative Skin Friction on Bridge Abutment Piles,” by Osama Drbe, M. Hesham El Naggar and Abouzar Sadrekarimi. The winner of DFI’s 2021 Student Paper Competition, Drbe, et al. present their four year monitoring program which studies the effect of negative skin friction on H-piles.
Access to all journal-related publications, including older journal papers, current papers and papers published online ahead of print, is available at www.dfi-journal.org. Active DFI members receive all journal publications free of charge as part of their annual membership fee. Non-DFI members can purchase DFI Journal articles for $25 or become a DFI member for only $125 per year.